Five family members died in predawn fire at Lard Prao area

Five family members who included two one-year-old twin baby girls were killed after they were trapped inside their rooms in a three-storey row shop building on Soi Nawamin 99 in Lard Prao area this morning.

The tragic fire happened at about 03.45 am at the shop house named Lim Thongchai Charoenyont which operated car accessories business.

Lard Prao police said 10 family members stayed at the shop house when the fire started. But five managed to escape from the shop while five others were trapped in their bedrooms.

Survivors told police that they heard an explosion first and the fire started to rage quickly from the second floor room to the third floor.

They alerted fire police.

Ten fire trucks arrived but could get the fire under control an hour later.

Firemen went to the gutted rooms on the second and third floors to look for survivors.

They found two twin baby girls, Saranya and Saranda Suthipongchaikul and their mother and grandmother in the bedroom on the third floor. All died from suffocation. The twin baby girls’ father was found lying dead at the corridor of the bedroom, also from suffocation.

Fire police said they suspected the fire started from the worship room where Buddha images were kept.

Actual cause of the fire was examined by forensic police this morning.

Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)