People warned against spraying alcohol disinfectant on their bodies

Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) has warned people not to spray alcohol disinfectant all over their bodies, after details of a woman who burnt herself after she sprayed herself with alcohol and then lit a mosquito coil were posted online, causing concern among netizens.

Deputy Secretary-General of the TFDA, Weerachai Nolwachai explained that alcohol spray is highly flammable. Therefore, people should never use alcohol spray, which is only meant for the hands, to spray all over their bodies, as people can burn themselves, especially when used near a naked flame or spark.

He also advised that people should spray alcohol and rub it onto their hands for at least 20 seconds, so the alcohol evaporates. Most importantly, alcohol spray should never be used near naked flames, such as cigarettes, mosquito coils or when cooking on a stove.

The woman who was burnt after spraying herself with alcohol is still receiving treatment in hospital.

Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service