- The four members of the economic team of Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, known as “See Kumarn” (four boys of Dr. Somkid), have quit the ruling Palang Pracharat party, which they jointly founded two years ago.
- The four, Finance Minister and former party leader Uttama Savanayana, Energy Minister and former party secretary-general Sontirat Sontijirawong, Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovations Minister Suvit Mesinsee and PM’s Office deputy secretary-general Kobsak Pootrakool, announced their resignations at a news conference this afternoon (Thursday), at the Centara Grand Central Lat Phrao Hotel.
- Uttama said they have accomplished their mission, of leading the party to form the coalition government, and it is time to allow their successors to continue the work.
- He said that they will continue to work in the Government, or take on any assignments as ordered by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.
- He made clear that it is the prerogative of the Prime Minister whether to keep them in the Cabinet, adding that they have not thought of forming a new party.
- Sontirat, meanwhile, said that he was not attached to political posts adding, however, that his bond with members of the Palang Pracharat party remains strong, despite quitting the party.
- The four men were purged from the executive board at a general assembly of the party on June 27th, which saw the election of Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan as the new leader and a new executive board.
- The leadership change at the party sets the stage for a Cabinet reshuffle.
Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)