Tourist gather as they pray at the Erawan shrine, the site of last Monday’s deadly blast, in Bangkok, Thailand, August 24, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
BANGKOK – The Thai government on Monday sent a message of confidence, assuring Thai citizens and the international community of its commitment to safety in Thailand in the wake of a deadly bombing attack last week.
The government “wishes to reassure the public that the situation is under complete control of security officials”, the ministry of foreign affairs said in a statement.
Additional security personnel, both in uniform and plainclothes, have been deployed to patrol every area so as to accord maximum security to the general public, it said.
In addition, the government “would like to convey to all foreigners who are planning on traveling to Thailand, be they for tourism, trade, educational or business purposes, or MICE, that the government shall be doing its utmost to provide a safe and secure environment for the duration of your stay in Thailand”, the statement said.
A bombing attack on an unprecedented scale in the Thai history rocked Erawan Shrine at Ratchaprasong intersection in downtown Bangkok on Aug 17, leaving at least 20 people dead and more than 120 others injured.
Police investigation has not yet led to the capture of any suspect.
People ride their motorcycles past a digital billboard showing a sketch of the main suspect in Monday’s attack on Erawan shrine, in Bangkok, Thailand, August 23, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]