ST. LOUIS, July 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Washington University in St. Louis School of Law recently welcomed students enrolled in its online Master of Laws (LL.M.) in U.S. Law program to their first immersion. The online program, @WashULaw, offers immersions that give students the chance to gain real-world experience as well as network in person with classmates and faculty. Students spent two weeks exploring the legal centers of St. Louis, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information on the LL.M. in U.S. Law program, please visit http://onlinelaw.wustl.edu/llm/overview/.
@WashULaw students in front of the Capitol building in Washington, D.C.
@WashULaw U.S. Immersion Program
Students traveled to the U.S. to meet classmates and distinguished law school faculty with whom they have been building deep relationships during live, weekly online classes. The immersion schedule included:
- St. Louis, Missouri, campus immersion: Students began their immersion at Washington University in St. Louis and toured the campus, observed live court hearings and visited the historic Old St. Louis Courthouse.
- Washington, D.C., legal and government immersion: Students participated in workshops, attended events, met with Washington University Law alumni and toured key institutions of the U.S. legal system, including the Capitol Building, the Department of Justice and the U.S. Supreme Court. They also had the opportunity to meet high-level professionals including a U.S. senator and attorneys from the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division and the U.S. Senate Democratic Policy and Communication Center.
- New York City immersion: Students concluded their U.S. immersion in New York City where they toured law firms and the United Nations headquarters.
- The program’s next immersion will take place in January 2015 in St. Louis.
"The immersion provides the rare opportunity for these international lawyers to connect and network in person with the university, their professors and classmates and see firsthand the U.S. legal system at work," says Washington University School of Law Associate Dean Michael (Mike) Koby. "The immersion program demonstrates the law school’s commitment to offering our students the best possible experience in our online LL.M. program."
Students attending the LL.M. immersion are foreign-trained lawyers who come from diverse backgrounds and who have educational and legal work experience ranging from intellectual property rights to refugee dispute resolution to mergers and acquisitions. The immersion is designed to complement the academics of the program, offering students the chance to experience facets of the U.S. legal system they study in class. Students who attended the immersion represent Brazil, China, Ecuador, Egypt, Ghana, Japan, Pakistan and Sudan.
"The @WashULaw program has taught me to think differently, not just in my work as a legal professional but in other aspects of my life as well. I’ve completed two classes toward my degree and apply the knowledge I’ve learned on a daily basis," says Ayman Hamdy, @WashULaw student and executive legal director of Dubai-based Emaar Properties PJSC.
@WashULaw: Live, Online Classes
- Washington University School of Law’s online LL.M. in U.S. Law program features live, online classes taught by university faculty. Students have access to high-quality, immersive course content they can access at any time.
- Course work includes highly produced, engaging video content that allows students and faculty to interact and share feedback and comments in real time.
@WashULaw programs are delivered in partnership with 2U, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU), a leading provider of cloud-based software-as-a-service solutions that enable leading nonprofit colleges and universities to deliver high-quality degree programs online.
About Washington University in St. Louis School of Law
Washington University School of Law offers students an outstanding legal education in an intellectually challenging and collegial environment. With faculty members recognized for excellent teaching and scholarship, a student body among the most selective in the country and an increasingly global and diverse community, the school strives to prepare graduates for the quickly evolving legal and business environment. The school’s online program, @WashULaw, which includes master’s degree programs and a Legal English course, is an example of its efforts to innovate using technology and new teaching methods in its mission to be the best place in the United States to learn to be a lawyer.
About 2U, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Founded in 2008 by a team of education and technology veterans, 2U enables leading colleges and universities to deliver their high-quality education to qualified students anywhere. Our cloud-based software-as-a-service platform provides schools with the comprehensive operating infrastructure they need to attract, enroll, educate, support and graduate their students. Our mission is to enable the education our clients provide to reach its highest potential so students can reach theirs. To learn more, go to 2U.com.
Washington University in St. Louis School of Law