– North America Has the Highest Facebook Penetration at 95 percent
BOSTON, April 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Boosted by solid growth in usage and advertising spend across major social networks, the global social network market continued to show strong growth in 2014, according to Strategy Analytics Global Social Network Forecast. Globally, Social Networks surpassed 2 billion users for the first time in 2014, of which Facebook accounted for 68%.
Click here for the report: http://bit.ly/1MAxHD8
Ad spend on social networks grew a robust 41% globally in 2014 totaling over $15.3 billion, accounting for 11% of global digital ad spend. Facebook accounted for three-quarters of global social network ad spend in 2014, while Twitter accounted for 8%. In 2015, ad spend on social networks is expected to grow by 29%, totaling $24.2 billion.
"Overall, the social network market continues to show strong growth across all regions as the major social network platforms drive usage and engagement via improved integration of digital media content," said Leika Kawasaki, author of the report. "While Facebook currently dominates the global social network market, its absence in China allows local social networks such as QZone and Tencent Weibo to gain traction in the rapidly expanding Chinese digital advertising market."
Other Key Findings from this report include:
- Nearly half (46%) of social network users reside in the Asia Pacific region.
- China accounts for almost 25% of global social network users with 495 million users in 2014.
- North America had the highest ratio of social network users to its population (64%) in 2014, followed by Western Europe at 55%.
- The US accounts for the largest share of global social network ad spend (41%), totaling $6.2 billion in 2014, up 35% YoY.
- The UK is the second largest market for social network ad spend, accounting for 8.2% of global social network ad spend in 2014, just edging out China (8%).
- The US had the highest social network ad spend per social network user at $31.37 in 2014. This is expected to grow 27% to $39.84 in 2015.
About Strategy Analytics
Strategy Analytics, Inc. provides the competitive edge with advisory services, consulting and actionable market intelligence for emerging technology, mobile and wireless, digital consumer and automotive electronics companies. With offices in North America, Europe and Asia, Strategy Analytics delivers insights for enterprise success. www.StrategyAnalytics.com
US Contact: Leika Kawasaki, +1-617-614-0738, [email protected]